Sunday, July 18, 2010

We Have A Blog!!

We have a blog! Yay! I must confess I have been excited to make a blog for Willie and I for quite some time now.

Today was our one month anniversary. Since it is a Sunday, we were not able to go out and do anything. So, we decided to make our first attempt at really cooking and make ourselves a good meal to have together at home. I'm not much of a cook. Our meals so far have mostly consisted of hamburgers and hot dogs, quesadillas, cereal, pasta, or chicken nugget salad. And Willie has made quite a few of those. We decided to try out our new crock pots, and picked a recipe from an awesome cookbook we got at our wedding.


We decided to make Spicy Italian Chicken. It seemed both simple and delicious. All we needed to do was chop up an onion and put that in with the chicken, Italian dressing, and some spices and then let it cook. We put frozen chicken in a bag with Italian dressing to thaw in the fridge overnight last night, and thought it would be easy to just throw everything in the crock pot in the morning.

Well, last night we were out late because we saw "Inception" with our friends Megan and Josh. So fun! I wasn't totally into the movie, but they all loved it, and it was a lot of fun to hang out with them. We didn't get home until around 12:30 though, and consequently ended up sleeping in quite a bit this morning and were running around trying to get ready to go to church on time. Miraculously I was ready before Willie, so I ended up trying to get all of our food ready for our dinner. It didn't go quite as planned.

When I went to the fridge, the chicken was all still frozen! What?! I thought that it would have been thawed after sitting in there for ten hours. Apparently not. So, I looked it up and saw that I would need to cook it for an additional 4 hours (on top of the 4 it would have already taken to cook). We decided we still wanted it and would just have a late dinner.

I proceeded to put the rest of the food in the crock pot, neglecting to notice that I was supposed to have sprayed the bowl that it cooks in first, so we had to take everything back out and do that. Then, I realized that I was supposed to have stirred all of the spices, dressing, and onions first and then add chicken instead of adding the chicken and then dumping teaspoons full of random spices all over it. Oh well, we were already way late by this point and just left. I am a little nervous about the food, but when we came home it smelled so good, so I'm hoping it works out! I won't know until about eight o'clock when we can finally eat it, but we will see!



Oh yeah, we decided to make some rice to go along with our chicken. Here are our two crock pots happily cooking along next to each other.

Even if it ends up being disgusting, it is exciting to attempt to make real food for us to eat, and has been a lovely one month!

5 comments:

Esther Noelle said...

Grace you are so cute!!! Good job pulling out your crock pot! How'd it turn out?? Don't leave us all in suspense! :)

Grace said...

esther!! thanks! it turned out pretty good. there were some issues, like the rice was a little crunchy...but overall we liked it!

Marcie said...

I am so excited for your blog! I love the picture of you two at the top, so cute. Hahaha, I love the story about the crock pot. That is one of my favorite things to use for Sunday dinners. I will try and get some of the recipes that we really liked when we were first married. Love you!

Jenna said...

yay, you have a blog and I can read all about you too! Happy one month! Love you!

(Alli Jagoda) said...

I finally embraced the art of "crockpotting?" this year. I swore i'd never buy one but Costco had them on sale for $15. Now that is a price I cannot resist, whether I wanted one or not!