Sunday, October 16, 2011

General Conference

I'm a little late, but General Conference was two weeks ago and we had a great weekend! It is definitely one of my favorite times of the year. For a whole weekend we have the opportunity to hear messages from prophets and apostles, and receive inspiration and instruction from them. I always feel so comforted and inspired, and there is always at least one talk that I feel like is especially for me. I definitely wore out my copy of my favorite talk from last April's General Conference, and am excited to get the ones from this past conference!

One of my very favorite talks this year came from the General Relief Society Meeting.



In his talk, President Uchtdorf uses the forget-me-not flower as a metaphor for five things that we should not forget.

1. Forget not to be patient with yourselves
2. Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice
3. Forget not to be happy now
4. Forget not the "why" of the gospel
5. Forget not that the Lord loves you

All of the other talks from General Conference can be found at www.lds.org. One of my other favorite talks was "It is Better to Look Up," given by Elder Carl. B. Cook. He talks about the importance of looking toward the Lord, and how this can help us in our lives.

"If we... exercise our faith and look to God for help, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens of life. We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or need to do. We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled with peace and joy. We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance--and if it is, the Lord will help us. But we must have the faith to look up and the courage to follow His direction."
--Elder Carl B. Cook

It was so wonderful to be able to hear these messages, and I am so grateful for the opportunity that we had to listen and learn from them. Willie and I watched at our apartment on Saturday, then went up to his parents' house in Alpine to watch on Sunday with them. We had a nice lunch, and it was so fun to all be together! It is such a wonderful time of the year to be able to hear all of these messages and to relax and spend time together as a couple and with family.

No comments: